Call to Artists
The Marblehead Public Art Committee (under the auspices of the Marblehead Chamber of Commerce) is pleased to request submissions for a summer mural installation that will be displayed on the south facade of the historic Jeremiah Lee Mansion in downtown Marblehead, MA from July to August, 2021. The mural will be hosted by the Marblehead Museum - which manages the historic site - and will be the centerpiece of a number of events during July’s annual Festival of Arts. The goal of this project is to display a piece of art that inspires excitement and creativity and uses the mural format as a tool for community-building.
This program is supported in part by a grant from the Marblehead Cultural Council, a local agency which is supported by the Mass Cultural Council, a state agency.
Submissions must be received by 11:59pm on May 18, 2021. Early submissions are encouraged. Submissions must be made online; No mailed submissions will be accepted.
The theme of this mural is “Imagining the Way Forward,” which may be interpreted as the artist likes.
Artists must live in the Greater Boston/North Shore region. If an artist is under the age of 18, they must have a guardian send the Marblehead Public Art Committee permission to use their work.
Stipend, Budget and Materials
Artists will be paid $750 for the finished mural. Artist will be provided with the sewn canvas measuring 7’0” X 18’0”. Artist will have a budget of $250 for paint and miscellaneous studio supplies - reimbursable upon submission of receipts.
The mural may be created in the artist’s private space, or if the artist is unable to secure private space, then the committee will arrange a space to be used on a limited basis in Marblehead, MA.
Artists should submit the following materials for consideration.
- 1 image of the mural design proposal (jpg format with image size set to 300 dpi, 4” x 10.5” image size, approximately); please use the following format for naming digital files: Artist name-Artwork Title-Year (example: Roger Wilco-Marblehead Summer-2021)
- A brief artistic narrative for the submitted work (1-2 sentences)
- Artist’s CV
- Artist’s biography (no more than 300 words)
Selection Process and Criteria
The selection panel will be made up of the members of the Marblehead Public Art Committee. Selection criteria include artistic excellence and thematic relevance.
- Artists must submit all required materials (see above)
- If there are people in the image, each person in the image must be made aware that their image will be publicly displayed. The artist is responsible for getting their permission before submission.
- If the artist submitting is under 18, they MUST include contact information and a signature from their parent/guardian.
- No corporate logos or advertising.
- Content must be family-friendly.
- No plagiarism of another artist’s work. (You can reference another artist, just make sure that your work is unique and different from the original piece).
- Group submissions are welcome, however, the stipend amount will remain the same
- Artist is expected to attend the open studio event in the mansion garden on July 2, 2021
- May 18 – Artist submission deadline
- May 20 – PAC will make final artist selection
- May 21 – Artist notified
- Week of May 24 – Zoom call with the Public Art Committee and artist (welcome, Q&A, etc.)
- June 26 – July 1 – mural installed, specific dates TBD
- July 2 – Open Studio public event in mansion garden
- First week of August – mural removed
Questions? Please email Peyton Pugmire, Chair of the Public Art Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org
THANK YOU and good luck!
Image of mural placement on the Jeremiah Lee Mansion, located at 161 Washington Street, Marblehead, MA.